The hours between 12am and 6am
have a funny habit of making you feel
like you’re either on top of the world,
or under it.
— Beau Taplin || the hours between. (via mer-se)
- Slavery didn’t end with the Emancipation Proclamation.
- Martin Luther King Jr. is not a cudgel to be used as a Yes-Man for any reverse racism propagandist.
- Reverse racism does not exist.
- "Post-racial" < ————- miss every last one of us POC with that shit.
- Racism didn’t end with integration, voting, interracial marriage, POC being on TV, POC being in politics, POC being in films
- Colorism is a direct cause of racism.
- Internalized racism equates only to a POC bearing a racist mentality to their own individual race(s).
- Interracial marriages and relationships are not the cure for racism.
- Biracial/multiracial children are not the cure for racism or colorism.
- Adopting children of color while saying that their race, ethnic designation, and culture don’t factor into who they are and are either unimportant or irrevelant to their existence is not okay.
- Fetishizing POC is not okay.
- Fetishizing POC can go beyond sexual terms:
Touching POC hair or skin without their permission is not okay. There is no such thing as good hair. Stop shitting on women with naturally kinky hair.
- "I just want to adopt a ton of asian babies!"
- ”Indian people have such ____ eyes I wish I had them!”
- ”I love the way Latin@s speak with their accents.”
- ”Black girls with good hair are what I live for.”
- ”I wish I were [ Black / Asian / Latin@ / Indian / Native & Indigenous] because then I could BLAH BLAH BLAH or be BLAH BLAH BLAH.”
- A woman rocking her weave is just as valuable as woman rocking her natural.
- You can still be racist and be married/be in a relationship with/have children with/have a relative or friend who is a POC.
- A POC can internalize racism for their own races and perpetuate white eurocentric beauty standards as well as respectability politics.
- Respectability politics and tone policing does not prove any point and only further enables racism/bigotry/and colorism.
- Being bullied by a POC does not mean you’ve experienced racism.
- POC cannot be racist We can be prejudiced. There is a difference between the two. Run to your dictionaries if you want but unless you are a POC and have experienced racism firsthand you do not know what it feels like nor do you have a grasp as to the magnitude of it in your everyday lives or just go here for this wonderful slideshow that explains why not in depth: http://wocinsolidarity.tumblr.com/post/53341129027/and-even-a-bonus-slide-for-any-remaining-queries
- Being victims of racial profiling applies only to POC.
- The umbrella term POC refers to the multitudes of races and ethnic designations that are not White. That being said the varying groups of people who are Black, Latin@, Asian, Native & Indigenous have their own layers of racial diaspora within them each with differing languages, dialects, cultures, traditions, politics, economic, and racial conflicts and issues. WE ALL SUFFER OPPRESSION BUT NOT ALL OF OUR OPPRESSION IS THE SAME. It may not be the best term to credit each individual race and or ethnic designations but it is the most understood, try though in conversations to be specific.
- Traveling is not the cure for racism.
- Transethnicism is never okay.
- Cultural appropriation is never okay.
- Latin@ is an ethnic designation.
- African American Vernacular English (AAVE) is a real language with differing dialects depending on the region a person is in.
- It is up to POC and POC ALONE as to whether or not we choose to reclaim racial slurs used against us as terms of endearment for our own individual race(s).
- POC don’t want apologies on behalf your race. We want you to use your privilege and take action within your communities to help dismantle racist and discriminatory agenda.
- There is no such thing as the race card.
- Starting off sentences about how you aren’t a racist but [insert your unnecessary opinion or thought as a white person] has already condemned you to be one.
- POC don’t owe you any justification or answers. There are books in libraries. There is the internet. DO THE RESEARCH YOURSELF.
- If POC do take the time to answer your question READ IT. LISTEN TO IT. THEN READ IT OUT LOUD AND LISTEN TO YOURSELF. We have said exactly what we wanted to say, that is the only answer you need from us. Ask another POC if you must but do not keep pushing they same question on them either.
- There is a difference between cultural exchange and cultural appropriation. Learn it.
- I don’t have anything more to say. Let the swarm of unfollowing and inbox hate commence. I’ve said my piece.
afternoon: dying for a rest.
night: can’t sleep
Have you ever just looked at someone and thought, “I really love you”. They’re just talking or humming or watching a movie or reading a book or laughing or something, and there’s something about them in that moment that makes you think, “I just really love you”
The term Hispanic, coined by technomarketing experts and by the designers of political campaigns, homogenizes our cultural diversity (Chicanos, Cubans, and Puerto Ricans become indistinguishable), avoids our indigenous cultural heritage, and links us directly with Spain. Worse yet, it possesses connotations of upward mobility and political obedience.
— Guillermo Gómez-Peña (via antichristgrandfather)
COOL DATE IDEA: take a really long nap with me